Remember those delicious PiCK UP! biscuits I posted about from Bahlsen? Well, the PiCK UP! just got even better! This month, you’ll be able to buy them in mini size – half the size but just as much flavour! But you don’t need to just have them as an afternoon pick me up in the office or on a Sunday with a cuppa. Why not make some scrummy treats with them? That’s exactly what Bahlsen challenged me with. What else can I do with their delicious biscuits? That’s why I thought I would create a Bahlsen PiCK UP! Mini buttercream cupcake. Simple, yet sweet!
WHAT YOU NEED:
FOR THE SPONGE
- 4oz softened butter
- 4oz caster sugar
- 4oz self-raising flour
- 2 free-range eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3 Bahlsen PICK UP! Mini
- 9oz icing sugar
- 5 oz softened butter
- 2 tbsp milk
AND don’t forget to use some PICK UP! Mini biscuits for decoration!
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and line a 12-hole tray with paper cake cases.
- With the butter softened, mix the caster sugar and butter until it is a very pale yellow.
- As you beat the butter and sugar, put in your two eggs.
- Start to fold the self-raising flour into the mixture adding your milk.
- Once smooth scoop the mixture into the cupcake cases, turn the oven down to 180 degrees. Leave in the oven for 10-15 minutes. They should be a golden brown when done. Check with a toothpick to see if they are cooked throughout.
- Whilst the sponges are in the oven, bash 3 Bahlsen PiCK UP! Minis whilst still in their wrapper with a rolling pin until you can feel it is a crumbly consistency.
- Beat your butter in a mixing bowl with the icing sugar adding in your milk. If it’s not as smooth as you’d like, add a little more milk!
- Once the buttercream is at a smooth consistency, add your PiCK UP! Mini crumbs and mix in.
- When the cupcakes are cool, put the buttercream in a piping bag and put on the sponges. If you don’t have a piping bag (like I didn’t!) put a dollop of cream on the cake and spread over with a knife. As a finishing touch put a PiCK UP! Mini on top. This is the perfect balance of sweet without any Death by Chocolate-ness! A nice little crunch in the buttercream with a soft sponge nom nom! Of course, you can make a chocolate sponge by adding 1oz of cocoa powder or make your buttercream chocolately by adding 3 tbsp of cocoa.
What’s more, Bahlsen are picking up the nation with their PiCK UP! biscuits this Summer. Check out their microsite www.pickuppickup.com to win prizes and follow Bahlsen for more yummy inspo at @BahlsenBiscuits/@BahlsenPICKUP. If you create some amazing goodies with the PiCK UP! Minis, don’t forget to share them using the hashtag #PickUpPickUp