WHAT IS MATCHA?
As I did my research, I found that matcha has a lot of health benefits, which is probably why it is so popular.
Matcha is powdered green tea leaves which are dissolved in hot water to make tea or used as a flavouring for coffee or in juice/milk from Japan. According to the 8th century Zen priest, Eisai – who introduced the tea to Japan – it is, “The ultimate mental and medical remedy and has the ability to make one’s life more full and complete”.
- It contains minerals, vitamins and antioxidants. It has 137 times more antioxidants than regularly brewed green tea.
- It lowers blood sugar…
- And cholesterol!
- You ingest the entire leaf and receive 100% of the nutrients of the leaf as opposed to regular green tea.
- A study has found it contains three times more of the catechins called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) – an antioxidant linked to fighting cancer, viruses and heart disease – than other kinds of standard green tea.
- It increases your metabolism.
- Matcha is said to have as much caffeine as a cup of coffee.
- Enhances your mood and concentration levels.
Sources – Matcha Souce, Health.com and The Telegraph
As we can see, it’s pretty good for us. But what does it taste like?
PREMIUM MATCHA SACHETS BY TEAPIGS
Is this tea actually worth drinking? In short, I love the idea and I love the benefits it has to offer. Although green tea is not my favourite flavour in the world, I grow accustomed to its taste the more I drink. I don’t hate it but it’s not exactly the most tasteful drink in the world.
These matcha tea sachets from Teapigs are quick and easy to make. And there are plenty of ways to drink it, so you can find your preference. Some have it just with hot water (off the boil), some with milk, juice or in a smoothie.
Also, having them in sachets means you can pop them in your handbag and have it anywhere that can supply water (hot or cold), milk or juice.
Overall, if you’re a green tea drinker you are much better off with matcha than your standard green tea. But one a day can’t hurt those who aren’t a big fan of tea. You can see there are so many wonderful benefits that will help your mind and body. And if you’re trying to lose a little weight naturally, this is a good helper. It will be beneficial and it could grow on you to drink more. Find different ways of drinking it like in a milkshake or just have a shot!
Have you had matcha in any of your drinks before? What is your favourite? Are you a fan?