I hate it when people say “it’s only a cold.” Colds for me are torturous. Some people get by with a runny nose and a cough but me? I have a head that feels like a big lump of cotton wool, eyes that sting unmercifully, a nose that won’t quit running and a cough that won’t fu-cough.
So, while I write this, feeling sorry for myself in Portugal with the windows open and the sun flooding through I feel I should share my tips on how you can at least feel better from a terrible cold.
- Call in sick – Rest is something you NEED. Call the office, cancel your gym plans and get yourself into bed!
- Run yourself a hot bath – Not only will the steam clear your blocked nose but you will also feel much more pampered afterwards.
- Lemon and honey – Whether you just have some hot lemon squash or you grab yourself some lemon and honey Lockets, this old fashion remedy really does help. BUT if you’re more of a homemade lover here’s a recipe I found that you could give a try.
- Drink lots of water – It’s a given. Water is your best friend when it comes to hydration. Avoid coffee or carbonated drinks.
- Top up your vitamin C – Orange juice or oranges in general, the big VC will help fight this cold off.
- Keep warm – Grab all your duvets and blankets and snuggle up. Sweat out those germs! But do keep a window open so you can get some fresh air.
- Don’t over do it – Whilst snuggled up with your hot lemon and a box of tissues stick on a Disney film. No checking emails! If you do feel a bit better (like me) then you can have a play online but right I promise after this post, bye bye laptop!
- Vegetable soup – Even if it is summer! Vegetables have lots of vitamins and minerals that will build your strength. Dig out a tin from January and get dunking that bread.
These are not new ways of making yourself feel better. They certainly aren’t cures. But you’re not going to get better by going running at 7am and then heading to work for 8 hours, are you?
Anyway, I’m going to continue feeling sorry for myself. By the time you read this I SHOULD be better rather than dead which is how I am feeling!