Based on my past travels, people tend to be intrigued at what I do for a living. How do I work from anywhere?
They ask me, “how do you afford it?” or “did you sign up to a website that plans this sort of thing for you?”
The latter question certainly wasn’t the case. My husband and I did it on our own. Well, for the most part. I’m going to share with you how we were able to do all of these wonderful things in one year.
A BIT OF BACKGROUND
I worked in London for two years and whilst I was working there, I was very unhappy. The pressure of my government job increased my already existing anxiety to ridiculous lengths and I just couldn’t handle it anymore. That is when I was offered a job as a marketing assistant for a small but growing company.
The job meant I was able to work from home, any hours I pleased as long as the task was completed by the given deadline. The Director of the company suggested I go travelling as I worked seeing as I could still do my job as long as I had wifi. The wheels were set in motion! I was so excited to be given this opportunity and we got planning.
After less than a year, under new management, I was let go. The company felt I was not needed and were making major changes and getting rid of staff.
This was just a month before I was set to start my travels. I was devasted and paranoid my travelling would no longer be happening. But luckily for me, my mother-in-law decided to take me on for the same position, at her new company. I was offered a considerably lower salary as I would not be working full time and on demand. But that was fine, it would help me get by, so I wasn’t going to argue!
WHAT DO I DO?
To travel around the world and make a living isn’t very easy. Firstly, you need a job where you can work at any time from anywhere. This can be in marketing, writing, blogging etc.
My job is a marketing manager for a family run association:
- Design promotional material,
- Create email and letter templates,
- Create databases of potential clientele and their potential customers,
- Schedule social media to promote services and events,
- Create weekly blog posts and monthly newsletters,
- Design and schedule mail outs via MailChimp,
- Provide content for articles and magazines,
- Format and design documentation and booking forms.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
A lot of planning goes into this type travelling. Here’s a basic step by step on how to get there.
- Plan your route. Check if you need visas, ESTAs etc. Do your research!
- Research living costs for food, entertainment and travel.
- Save for the first three or four locations so you have time to save for the later ones.
- Book apartments (Airbnb, Bookings.com etc), arrange flights and hire cars. Check the costs, amenities of the apartments and timings.
- Give your manager a schedule of your travel so they know your timezone etc.
- Arrange online Skype meetings with management to catch up and go over any work related topics. I’d recommend Monday to set weekly tasks and goals.
- Save money on each payday for the next locations. Repeat!
Discuss with your manager (if you have one) what exactly you need for this adventure. You definitely will be needing a laptop! This will be where you work and communicate. Make sure you have all of the necessary software, set up your work email, ensure there is wifi where you are staying and you’re ready to go.
HOW CAN YOU DO IT?
Here’s an article I wrote for the Wonder Forest blog, showing you how it is possible to travel and make money!
Now you can see how I work from anywhere without needing to be in the office 9-5. I believe in the future many jobs will be able to have some leeway to allow people to live the lives they want and still work.