When I was a child, I rarely went further than Devon on holiday to visit family. As I reached my teens I dreamt of travelling across the States, Canada and Europe. Going abroad was a big deal, something I never imagined doing. That’s why when Paul and I planned our year of working from anywhere, we wanted to see and do as much as possible. Below are some of my favourite moments in each of the places I visited in those years!
NEW YORK, USA
- Going to the top of the Rockefeller Tower.
- Walking through Central Park in the snow.
- Seeing the Spring Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall.
- Sitting on the Mad Men bench (temporary!)
- Having a tour around Radio City Music Hall.
- Ordering a delivery of cookies and milk at midnight.
- Visiting Marilyn locations (Seven Year Itch subways grate, her apartments, SYI apartment etc.) with online friends from New Jersey.
- Shake Shack…
- Seeing Aladdin and Wicked on Broadway.
- Going on the Brooklyn Pizza Tour.
- Having a month in NYC as a whole.
- Driving through the mountains just outside of Cannes.
- Visiting Monaco (seeing Princess Grace Kelly’s palace and burial-place).
- Seeing filming locations of To Catch A Thief.
- Relaxing on the beach.
- Delicious food!
- Riding electric bikes over the hills of Lisbon.
- Befriending our electric bike tour guide and going out for a curry with him.
- Having my first custard tart (sooo good).
- Visiting Sintra.
- Going kayaking against my will and proving to Paul it was an awful idea.
- Having a tour to Figueres visiting Salvador Dali’s home.
- Going to the Salvador Dali museum.
- Seeing Gaudi’s architecture.
- Watching my first live football match at Camp Nou.
- Seeing the Colosseum (again) every day.
- Proper coffee.
- Food tour.
- REAL gelato.
- 30 degree heat = my first tan.
- Being terrified on a scary buggy thing.
- Seeing GAME OF THRONES LOCATIONS.
- Eating the best risotto ever.
- Cats everywhere.
- Going on a buggy safari.
- Finding a secret beach and then discovering it’s for nudists.
LOS ANGELES, USA
- Going to the Hollywood Walk of Fame and finding my favourite celebrities stars.
- Discovering I have the same size hands as Marilyn Monroe at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre.
- Meeting Jackie from Immortal Marilyn and being given private Marilyn tours of where she lived, dined, passed away etc.
- Going on a Paramount studio tour (seeing Alfred Hitchcock’s office and the sound stages to where some of my favourite films were created).
- Going on the Warner Brothers studio tour.
- Having a coffee in Central Perk (in the Warner Brothers studio).
- Watching the Frank Sinatra 100th Birthday concert at The Hollywood Bowl (hearing Seth a sing One For My Baby, my favourite Sinatra song).
- Walking to the Hollywood sign.
- Visiting Marilyn Monroe and other stars at Westwood Cemetery.
- Having the biggest TV I’ve ever seen in our apartment.
- Meeting Marco, from Amsterdam and going on another MM tour with Jackie.
- Having an LA Woman tour dedicated to The Doors.
- Morbid but it was interesting visiting the locations of famous murders.
- Seeing where musicians and film stars lived, performed and passed away.
- Our crazy tour guide for Hollywood Star Homes tour “Anthony, Anthony, Anthony”.
- Seeing the Playboy mansion.
- Going to Universal Studios.
- Discovering caramel frappuccino and getting one daily.
- Visiting the ORIGINAL Disneyland during the 60th-anniversary celebrations.
SAN FRANCISCO, USA
- Walking across the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Having tea and fortune cookies at the Japanese tea garden.
- Seeing the sea lions at Pier 39.
- Eating all the ice cream at Ghirardelli’s Square.
- Visiting The Palace of Fine Arts Theatre.
- Going to the Disney Family Museum and finding that our friend Dali was planning on making a film (didn’t work out in the end).
- Having a boat tour around Alcatraz.
- Getting the Amtrak to Vancouver.
- Visiting Gas Town.
- All the coffeeeeee.
- Walking along Vancouver Harbour.
- Going to Stanley Park.
- Lazin’ about in the apartment watching Sopranos.
- Meeting Sara! We had a wonderful time visiting Banff and having her stay over. It was also lovely to be able to stay with her!
- Visiting Edmonton Mall (it has a pirate ship).
- Seeing the Northern Lights in Jasper.
- Climbing Sulphur Mountain.
- Seeing Lake Louise.
- Visiting Marilyn locations (Banff Springs Hotel, Banff Upper Hot Springs).
- Going in the Banff Upper Hot Springs.
Aurora Borealis in Jasper
- Visiting Niagara Falls for Paul’s birthday (spotting a few Marilyn locations too!)
- Going to Casa Loma.
- Viewing Toronto from the top of the CN Tower.
- Seeing Legend at the Toronto Film Festival.
Going to the TIFF
- Having chill time before going home. Meaning I was able to give my blog a makeover and finish Sopranos
- Discovering the best curry house ever – Gandhi’s
- Seeing Stevie Wonder live
- Going to the cinema as much as possible as it’s so cheap in Canada!
- Watching a Canadian hockey game
- Visiting Old Montreal
AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS
- Visiting the Christmas markets
- Walking along the canals
- Going to Anne Frank’s house
- Dinner with Melanie
- Seeing the stage show of ANNE
- Having coffee in brown cafes
- Christmas shopping at de Bijenkorf
- Eating ALL of the oliebollen and pepernoten
- Being loved by a cat in a cafe to the point where it wouldn’t get off my lap…
- Dinner at Marco’s (remember? The guy from LA!)
- Eating all of the Kruidnoten I could get my hands on
- Visiting Utrecht to see Melanie
Is there anything you’d like to try in any of these cities?