With January long gone we can all stop the clean eating charade and get back to enjoying ourselves, right? I mean, how can you be healthy if you don’t have little treats every now and again? Well, this is my new mentality and no doubt I will discuss that more in a separate post. But today I thought I would do another recipe, this time for chocolate chip cupcake deliciousness! I hunted around the web for some inspiration and combined a few ideas. However, cupcakes are pretty simple to make and these – just because they contain chocolate – should be no different.
WHAT YOU NEED
FOR THE CUPCAKE
- 2 eggs large eggs,
- Unsalted butter (same weight as eggs),
- Caster sugar (same weight as eggs),
- Self-raising flour (same weight as eggs),
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder,
- 2 tbsp water,
- 25g chocolate chips.
FOR THE ICING
- 55g Unsalted butter,
- 225g icing sugar,
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder mixed with 2 tbsps milk.
Serves 10-12 depending on the size of your cupcake cases!
- Firstly, preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Weigh eggs and measure the butter, caster sugar and flour to the same weight as the eggs.
- Add eggs to the mixing bowl sieving the sugar, flour and caster sugar.
- Add butter, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and water.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture is well combined and smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases and put into the oven for approximately 20 mins.
- Once the cakes are baked (they should be springy) let them cool on a cooling rack.
- To make the icing, combine all of the ingredients and mix well until smooth.
- Scoop the icing into a piping bag, ensuring not to put too much pressure on it, and swirl the icing onto the top of the cooled cupcakes.
- And finally, decorate with chocolate chips or other small chocolates!
I hope you enjoy these cupcakes as much as I did!