January has gone so it’s likely many of the resolution do-gooders have fled the gym and gone back to a normal life of pizza Fridays and evenings with Emmerdale. So now it’s a great time to your butt in gear (even if it’s a month later than everyone else) and improve your general health and fitness regime. Now, I’m not saying go to the gym for an hour, 5 days a week. It’s little changes that will help you get back into a fitness regime and living a healthy lifestyle. If it’s been a while start off with these tips:
THE LITTLE THINGS TO HELP YOUR FITNESS
- Work out 3 days a week either at the gym or go for a run. Even if it’s just for 20 minutes. Start slowly and build it up.
- Download some fitness apps so you can keep track of your calorie intake and do at home exercises if the gym isn’t for you (just yet).
- Walk instead of driving.
- Cut out sugar in tea and coffee.
- No more snacking on crisps or chocolate – swap it for fruit or seeds.
- Plan your meals – sugar-free cereal or smoothies for breakfast, a sandwich or soup and fruit for lunch and a healthy dinner like a vegetable stir fry will help you get into a routine of clean eating. No more steak and fries!
- Buy some new gym gear, it really helps in motivating me to work out.
- Take the stairs (an old favourite!)
- Limit eating out and if you do, opt for the healthy option (salads, no bun on burgers, skinny fries etc.)
- Get up earlier in the day so you can get it out of the way. Doing this every day will help build a routine.
The small changes will develop into bigger things, especially when you see and feel the difference in your body. What tips do you have for someone wanting to get back into fitness and healthy living?